Foundational to the teachings of Jesus are the “Great Commandment” and the “Great Commission.” In Mark 12:28-31 Jesus was asked which is the greatest commandment. He answered by saying that all the laws were built on “loving God” and “loving your neighbor.” The last words of Jesus after his resurrection and before his ascension to heaven are recording in Matthew 28:18-20. The Great Commission is that we are to “go and make disciples of all nations.” We believe that healthy missions is the result of practicing the Great Commandment and the Great Commission. We are to love God and love people around us, which leads us to invite people to become disciples of Jesus Christ.
Missions involvement at Fort Lee Gospel Church includes numerous activities designed to fulfill the Great Commission.
1) The world has moved to Fort Lee and the surrounding communities. We desire to be a church where our neighbors from other religions can learn about the Bible, see a community of people following Jesus, and have the opportunity to also become believers. We do not need to travel to “make disciples of all nations.”
2) Our church prays for and financially supports some ministries in other languages. We partner with an Ethiopian church in Manhattan and support their former pastor who has returned to Ethiopia. We support missionaries serving in Bangladesh who have been friends of our church for many years. We also give some money monthly to Metro Missions, a fund which supports churches starting in a number of languages in and around New York City. We also make our church building available to churches who worship in Korean, Spanish and Chinese.
3) We are a church of the Christian and Missionary Alliance and our denomination is best known for a strong missions program, supporting missionaries reaching out to both unreached and responsive peoples of the world. Our church has an annual missions weekend and receives regular updates on various ministry so that we can pray.
4) Our church is involved with a homeless ministry in New York City who respond to the needs of the homeless population. We also have ministry teams leading worship services in a nursing home in Manhattan and an assisted living home in Teaneck.
5) Since the late 1990s, Fort Lee Gospel Church has participated in Operation Christmas Child. We pack shoe boxes with toys, school supplies, hygiene items and candies, which is collected by Samaritan’s Purse and mailed to needy children somewhere overseas. On a number of occasions we have also collected money to help victims of disasters around the world.